Monday, September 28, 2015

i went to target and there was not a single fake crow in sight

It's in the high 70s- low 80s this week, and I'm not happy about it. Summer needs to die already. No one wants you here!

Fall is in full swing elsewhere, by which I mean Spirit stores are open for business. Halloween is 33 days away... and I'm having a costume crisis. I've started with my Jazz Bat costume, have planned it, have spent some money on it, have pretty much finished the top- then Pizza Rat happened.  I don't know how to explain it, but Pizza Rat is the truest essence of my soul. I'm a trash animal who loves cast off pizza and hustles for said pizza. Pizza Rat is me!

My age old Halloween struggle between historical costume and funny costume continues this year.

On the Jazz Bat costume front, I found a really ugly modern tunic pattern, Butterick 6173, that totally works for this two-piece look:  

x
x
I didn't want it to be plain, and in black I think smaller details would be lost, so I ended up doing the hem in mock vandyke points, which are basically pointy scallops. I had originally intended to just hem the points up, but the fabric frays terribly, so I had to butcher together a lining/facing  type thing.




 The neckline is a little deeper than I wanted, so I found a trim at Joanns that is supposed to look like hair, I guess (???) but is really just a fine fringe. It made me think of the fuzzy ruff that some bats have at the neck. I'm refraining from doing anything dramatic with the sleeves, since I have a cape to function as the wings.  I'm not quite sure what to do for the skirt portion. At this point, with Pizza Rat looming on the horizon, I may just use the black velvet skirt I wore last year.  It's not as column-y as I would like, but it would work in a  pinch.


2 comments:

  1. I am pretty much quivering with excitement already that we're a month (and a day) away from Halloween. Reusing elements of past costumes in something I've done throughout my life and I see nothing wrong with it. I was just sorting my scarves the other day actually and was struck by how one - a sheer, relatively skinny black number with some silver sparkly bits on it - and was stuck by how I've owned it now for more than half my life and that it's appeared as part of at least three Halloween ensembles over the years. I don't at present plan to weave it into this year's, but one never knows.

    Wishing you all the best with your bat ensemble. It sounds like a great costume!

    Joyful October wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am so excited about how close it is! I can't wait to see what your costume is, you always deliver!

      Delete