Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Pattern Review: McCall's 1925 Coat

behold! my terrible photoshop skills!

x


McCall's 7259 Archive Collection Coat circa 1925

 
Pattern Description: Archive Collection: Misses Coat and Detachable Cape and Collar 

 Pattern Sizing: 14-22 

 Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!  

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very, plus there were some basic steps that are usually left out of Simplicity and Butterick patterns that would be extra helpful for beginners, like how to handle ease in fitting a sleeve, ect.  

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Very easy to follow, and I didn't have to cut of a massive amount of fabric for the bottom length like I usually do in almost all patterns.  

Fabric Used: red poly (I'm assuming), textured jacquard type fabric with small amount of stretch I found at Joanns. I originally wanted to make it out of navy blue wool, but when I went in, they had taken out their already very small wool section. Or at least, I couldn't find it after wandering up and down all the apparel fabric aisles like nine times. Anyway, I found this in the seasonal area. It's supposed to be some "tribal" or "southwestern" print or something, but I think it looks vaguely like some Egyptian revival prints that fit in well with the era of the pattern. I would have liked to make the cape as well, but there were only four yards on the bolt. It's lined in a blue, sort of floral patterned poly lining fabric.

 Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None.

 Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes! It came together quickly for a jacket, and didn't need any altering to work for me. I'd make it out of a heavier fabric like the wool I originally wanted to make it out of.

 Conclusion: McCall's has really seemed to step up their game recently with their line of vintage Archive patterns. I used to shy away from McCall's patterns, but this pattern has renewed my interest in their designs. 




Full disclosure: My overhead light burned out and I had to position my dress form in front of the window to get any type of light at all... and this washed out monstrosity of a set of photos is the result.  Add to the fact that in order to get positioned in front of the window, I had to take the pictures facing the messiest part of my room, as opposed to up against the door like I normally would, I tried to photoshop the background out to save you from having to see this.




Please remember that literally everything I own save bathroom toiletries, food, my one cooking pot and weird collection of mugs is in this room, which doesn't have a closet. But that doesn't explain why the fan is so dusty.



The pattern includes a detachable faux fur collar, but I'm hesitant to actually try and sew with fur. Here it is with my collar, which would work a little bit better if it were longer, but I still like it.

again, one room. no closet.
 On another note, I attempted to photograph my halloween costume (which I never got any photos of when I was wearing it, unfortunately) today, but due to the shitty lighting, I couldn't get any to come out. I will try again later.

1 comment: