Monday, June 20, 2016

8 quick qs





Here's a little survey I ran across on a couple different blogs recently, featuring antique/vintage "nevers".


1. What is one antique/vintage/retro item you’d never want to receive as a gift or would never think of purchasing? 
I'm typically kind of anything goes, but things that really bother me are usually race-related, like things that fall under the category of "black americana", ect.  As a white girl, there's no reason for me to have it in my house whatsoever. The fact that it exists is very important, and it absolutely should be discussed more than it is, but it's something that belongs in a museum, or in the collection of someone who is actually connected to the culture and appreciates the weight of the subject matter. Same goes with WWII anti-Japan items- I am interested in Militaria and Sweetheart items of the period, but I'm not interested in any harmful Japanese stereotypes or portrayals.  Also, swastikas  and Confederate flags, gross.


2. What are three movies made in pre-70’s Hollywood you’ve never seen and want to see? 
I rarely see movies, new or old, and haven't seen quite a few of the "classics" that everyone is supposed to see. I would like to see The Girl Can't Help It .  When I was in junior high school and in high gear rockabilly phase, my dad tried desperately to find a copy of this to rent locally, but we never could (This was 2003 pre-Myspace times, people, the internet was wild and non-streaming.). I mean, it's supposed to be terrible, but hello it's featuring practically everybody on the non-pop music scene  at the time! Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Fats Domino, pre ministry Little Richard! 

this guy though



3. What are three movies made in pre-70’s Hollywood you’ve seen and will never watch again? 

I honestly don't have an answer to this.  


4. What is one antique/vintage/retro item you own, but never imagined you would? 

I don't have anything that I never imagined I'd own, but I think some of my favorite things I own is my collection of "Charm" books. I don't even really know what to call them! Etiquette, advice, how-to, poise, make women feel bad about themselves, whatever. They are amazingly offensive, but such an incredible time capsule of our recent past and culture. 

WAIT- I used to be really afraid of taxidermy when I was a kid. I don't own anything that's stuffed, but I do have some old fur guys from the 40s, and a fox from probably the depression that was given to me by a friend. He's in rough shape and missing a limb or two, but I really do love him!

                                     



5. What is one thing you do relating to vintage you never pictured yourself doing? 

Going to the Goodwill Outlet, or the Bins. The first time I ever went, I found a literal bag of dirt. It is truly disgusting, and I've seen some dark stuff go down there, but I did get a 1970s Christian Dior scarf there for a nickel, so that's that. 


6. If you could never dress outside a specific decade of the past again, what decade would you choose? 

I don't know, it depends on what my circumstances are. Am I rich? I'd probably say 1960s, but if I were rich and skinny, probably 1930s, and I'd wear completely impractical beach pajamas and furs all the time. 



literally 1930s me, all the time



7. What is one thing you could never bring yourself to do to an antique/vintage/retro item? 

I cringe when I see people "upcycle" vintage or antique items into something terrible and holly-hobbyish. Uggggggghhhhh it's the worst and makes my inner historian rage about preservation.


8. Is there an antique/vintage/retro item you own that you would never give up? 



I don't really own anything of importance or value. The only things I have have sentimental value, like letters and photographs, along with my great grandmother's wedding dress and some of her jewelry items. I also have some glass pigs that my grandpa gave me when I was a kid that he'd had I think since he was a kid and raised pigs for the FFA. 


I had to come back into this post and add this. I wish this was me!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am in epic agreement with you regarding point number 7. I mean, fundamentally, at the end of the day, to each their own and one is free to do as they please, but my skin crawls and my soul aches when I see perfectly (or very nearly so) vintage and antique items, that were still totally intact and usable as they sat, upcycled. And the rather widespread adoption + mainstream social acceptance of this practise troubles me all the more than a case-by-case basis. I've always felt incredibly drawn to preserving the past and will never personally go down the scissor/paint/sewing machine happy upcycling path with any intact garment or other type of item (if one opts to do something like a small bit of tailoring, say lowing a hem, that is another thing though, of course, and I'm not referencing such, naturally - though, there too, do personally keep such an absolute minimum at all times).

    This was a really fun read, Shauna. Beach pajamas really are the best - good call there.

    Wishing you a sunny, marvelous summer!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when people "upcycle" too! Antiques and usable vintage items are not craft supplies to be cut up or ruined at whim! Turning antique books into clocks, purses, paper flowers, etc are projects that especially bother me since I collect old books. Too often the "upcycled" item is also something which will have a much shorter lifespan than the original item would have. I once read a seller on Etsy bragging that she used vintage sewing pattern pieces instead of tissue paper. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete