Sunday, February 23, 2014

I'm Nature's Mosquito

 Coming from a musical family, I listen to music almost 24 hours a day, whether it's at work, when I'm on the computer, or traveling on the bus. Sometimes, it's just for background noise, or to avoid people (public transit, thank you), but it is near constant. I don't claim to have an outstanding taste in music, and what I listen to tends to be all over the place. For some reason though, I gravitate towards music that came out in the 1970s. This can be good and bad. A lot of shit came out in those ten years, but a lot of shit comes out every decade. And sometimes, I've come to understand, it's fun to like "terrible" music- I actively listen to disco and late nineties boybands. And while there was once a time when I'd rather die than let anyone think that I would listen to One Direction, one of the most important things I've learned once I got out of high school and wised up, was to stop writing off something purely because it's what I thought people expected me to like as a teenage girl. I spent a lot of time not liking something for no reason other than me being an idiot. Being a snob is no fun, and trying to impress people who don't really care is even less fun. FutureSex/LoveSounds was a good album damn it, and I wish I would have figured that out when it came out, not years later.

  I love finding new music, and at the same time, listening to the same things over and over. One artist I could listen to forever is Jonathan Richman (and the Modern Lovers). My dad used to play Back in Your Life when I was a kid, and when I moved out, I made sure to yoink that record. It's "lo-fi" at it's most low. Goofy, sincere and heartfelt, it's amazing and ridiculous at the same time. My dad saw him live once, and said it was the quietest show he'd ever seen. Ha!
Here's a selection of my favorite Jonathan Richman songs. Most are from Back in Your Life, but there are a few others thrown in




This is my first time embedding a Spotify play list, I hope it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment