Friday, November 7, 2014

Halloween in November


Due to it's controversial nature, let me put a disclaimer here: I do not support the modern fur industry, but I do appreciate true vintage and antique fur pieces. I feel that its better to appreciate them and use them than have them end up in a landfill, but I understand and respect people being anti-fur.
 



I'm finally getting around to posting about Halloween, a week later.

Since it was a Friday, I worked, but was able to get off early to go to a cemetery tour at Lone Fir Cemetery, my favorite Portland area graveyard. A couple years ago, a "Untimely Departures"-style cemetery tour was started for Fortuna, CA area graveyards namely the one where the majority of my paternal family is buried (Newberg, or Sunrise Cemetery), which my dad helps run, and I've been lucky to help out with two times.  They did several years at Sunrise, moving on to another this past year, as they ran out of stories!  Anyway, the original idea came from the Lone Fir tour, so I was on a fact finding mission to see how the originals do it.

The tour was really great! My one complaint was that it was too short... we only got to see three "ghosts"! There are several tours that run at once, covering both sides of the cemetery, but I understand that they have to do it that way to maintain traffic flow. Had I more cash on me, I would have gladly gone through again to see the other side's stories.

I'm really hoping to be able to volunteer for next year's tours. I really enjoyed working on the ones in Fortuna.






As mentioned in several posts, my theme for this year was "eccentric millionaire", basically just an excuse to wear weird stuff in public.   Almost everything came from goodwill at some point or another, except for the stole which came from Red Light on Hawthorne, where it was grossly under-priced.  I've had it since February, but it's not really something you can wear in public anymore, so this is its first outing!

.

I had to take off most of my costume during work due to extreme lack of mobility, but was able to get a few photos of it.







Photo credit to ESCO



2 comments:

  1. Your outfit is just fabulous, and the idea of a ghostly Halloween graveyard tour sounds like just my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete