Thursday, November 21, 2013

I Quit That Bitch

Today I quit my second job at JC Penney.
It was the worst job I've ever had and wore me into the ground in a shorter amount of time as I have ever been burned out.

I suppose I am not meant for retail, but then again,  I could have told you that years ago.  I am not meant for forcing people to sign up for credit cards they don't need. I am not meant for being screamed at by angry customers for things that are way out of my control. I am not meant for not being allowed to take my lawful lunch. I am not meant for wishy washy company policies that allow customers to rob the store blind by returning merchandise from years ago, that isn't carried in the store any more, or is from another store completely.

I am most certainly not meant for working 33 hours between my two jobs over a 48 hour period on black friday.

Perhaps I am all the things they made me feel I was: lazy, selfish for wanting one day off a week.  But then I think about my other job at the bookstore.  A wonderful work environment, very good pay, actual benefits that I, as a part time employee, have access to. A set schedule, timely and thorough training. Union backing. A holiday bonus. I have never cried in the back room at the bookstore. I have had difficult customers, but I don't dwell on them. I, as an employee, are made to feel important. I am a human being that contributes to the company and has a life outside clocking in and out, not a pack mule that is used up until they can't get anything more out of me and send me to the glue factory.

I very much need a second job. The one fault with the bookstore is I don't get enough hours. I need a second job, but I don't need one that will give me an emotional breakdown, which is exactly what JC Penney gave me.

So, I now have to hold off on moving. I have to way cut back on my spending. But I know it was the right thing for me to do. I will be able to focus on finding a second job that is better for me, which I've been trying to do for a few weeks, but it's very hard when you can't get any days off. I know now to try and stay away from mall department stores. They are just not the right kind of job for me. If people can do that work and have it not affect them, more power to them. I wish I could as well, but I just cannot.

Making the decision to leave, even though it casts me into a period of unknown, has been very difficult for me, but I am very glad to have made that decision. I know I will find another job, and for now I just feel


                             

No comments:

Post a Comment