Friday, November 8, 2013

Rose City Cemetery

Yesterday was my first day off in three weeks (and probably will be the last for equally that amount of time, if not more) and I went to a cemetery I've never been to.




I've never been to a cemetery that looked like this. Nearly all the headstones were made of a red marble and there is only a few variations in style, all crammed together.  It's a large space, with a huge outdoor mausoleum running about 3/4 of the length of the park.


 


Plus, there were a ton of above ground graves which I had never seen before. They're like mini mausoleums, but not... I did some research, and it turns out this cemetery is where a huge fraction of the local Roma population is buried, in those mini-mausoleums. Unfortunately, it was dark and rainy when I went, and I didn't get a very good picture of them. There are also a large number of Greek graves with neat headstones, along with a sectioned off Japanese section, with more of the style of stone I'm used to seeing. So interesting!


While walking around, I slipped on one of those long marble stone pieces that cover the length of the grave and went ass over teakettle. Damn it! Thank god no one but me and the dead are at a cemetery at 10 am on a Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment