Friday, July 24, 2015

Do the Beatles BUG YOU?

QUICK UPDATE:

Well, it's D-Day minus 1 for the wedding I've made that damn dress for, and it is done. I got everything I needed (sort of) accessory-wise, and overall the dress came out alright. I'm very happy with the bodice (minus the peanut butter stain), but the skirt is eh. The outer layer is sheer georgette, which I had to do a rolled hem on, and I've only done rolled hems on more substantial fabrics before so it came out really bubbly. Of course I just found a tutorial that would have helped a whole hell of a lot like three minutes ago, but I don't think the woobliness of the skirt is going to be that noticeable. I had made a cummerbund thing to cover the peanut butter stain, which looked great on my dressform, but once I tried it on (and sewed like 900 hooks and eyes on it) it did nothing for me figure-wise.  I still like the idea of it, but I don't have the time or material to remake it. Oh well. It wouldn't truly be something of mine if there wasn't random food stains on it anyway. 

Both jewelry pieces I ordered came the same day and I'm having a hard time choosing which to use?!?!?!!  

I don't have pictures yet, but am hoping to get some when I'm wearing it. 


Lately, I've been keeping an eye out for old teen magazines online and in stores, and last week I stumbled upon a stack circa 1964-5 in an antique store . You know I love old ads and old teenager-geared media, so I scooped up the whole lot.  One turned out to just be a general media/tabloidy magazine aimed towards adults, but it was really great too (featuring both a "who the hell are these Beatles my damn kid keeps talking about" article and a vaguely worded birth control ad).

I tried to take some photos outside, but the cat kept sitting on the magazines, so I had to move inside, hence the background change and dimmer, slightly blurrier photos. Meerg.


In Magazine, with the tagline "For the girl of today, for the woman of tomorrow", is one I've never heard of. It's a pretty typical Seventeen-esque fashion/lifestyle magazine, and I'm assuming by the appearance of the Chiquita banana sticker story, bolstered by the banana lobby.







 TeenSet, which was published in-house at  Capitol Records featured artists on said label, and since it was 1965, centered heavily on the Beatles (and their forthcoming second movie, Help!)

But also, these nerds got a inside cover ad


Plus this Beatle fan mag, which was both terrible and incredible! 


"Hobbies: Girls", ok George. 

To be fair, had I been alive at the time and a teenager, I would have done this, so.

 This was the one on the bottom of the stack that wasn't for kids. It is, however, full of "feminine daintiness" ads and an article about why the Bob Barkers chose not to have kids.

And this ad.

No comments:

Post a Comment