Thursday, July 2, 2015

For That Golden Moment...



Lana Lobell catalog, 1962

 when I get off my ass and actually finish something.

I am so close to finishing the dress for an upcoming wedding (or as I like to call it, Holiday Staff Party Replacement Event), it's stupid. The last things I have to do are adjust the bodice and hem two layers, something I'm not looking forward to. Also, I may have gotten a sizable stain directly on the front of the bodice (sidenote- don't eat peanut butter ice cream on top of your ironing board, spill on it, but not realize until after you've already ironed over it.), but I think I've figured out a way to fix it. 

Lana Lobell catalog, 1962

via DearGolden  

via stutterinmama


I had a lot of ideas for accessorizing this dress, but so far none of them have materialized. Everything I've had my eye on has been stolen away from me via eBay, or just plain not existed in any faction whatsoever.  I really was looking for a earring/brooch set, with big tacky green rhinestones, and NEARLY got my hands on four different ones, only to have them snagged out of my hands at the last minute (outbid in the last 4 SECONDS at one point by 50 cents! GODDAMNAAARGH)


via limitlessjewels

via alluwantisheretoday

Shoes have been a trial on their own. Seriously, I went to 9 brick and mortar stores, plus Zappos, plus Modcloth, PLUS Amazon trying to find nude or beige shoes that don't look like either orthopedics or stripper/business casual, and apparently those don't exist. 


via nocarnations


via montailleur
via jlvintage

There were a lot on Modcloth that I liked, but nearly all were out of my price range, size range, or weren't the color I wanted.

(x)

 I had finally settled on this pair, only to read the reviews and find out they were actually pink... argh! I wasn't totally sold on them (I get the 60s influence, but they're a little too juvenile), but I'm running out of time.  Why!?!  Having a budget and questionably wide feet is a huge pain in the ass.  Anyway, I found a pair that are not at all what I was looking for, but I got to the point where I was getting disillusioned with the whole process and just ordered a wacky pair I liked happened to be on sale and in my size. What the hell, right? I'm waiting for them to arrive, and desperately hoping they are wide enough, since they were on sale, and I'm sure not returnable.

1 comment:

  1. These are, in every way, the kinds of early 1960s that I mean when I say that I love looks from the beginning of that decade. They're more late 50s than Mod/hippie 60s and are so wildly feminine. I swear, one of these days I'm going to pen a post all about this subject and fill it with examples like these gorgeous ones.

    Big hugs & joyful mid-July wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete