Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Pattern Review: Lifestyles of the Wardrobed




looking slightly disheveled as I had just walked home in 90 degree weather.



 

Butterick 6185
Pattern Description: Misses Jacket, Top, Dress, Skirt and Pants 

 Pattern Sizing: 14-22. I sewed a 22. 

 Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.  

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very simple. 

 What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It was very fast and very easy. The fabric choices of the pattern envelope photos almost made me pass on the pattern, as they came off a little too Nancy-Reagan-casual-First-Lady-suit for me (and honestly, the term lifestyle wardrobe makes me immediately turn the page).


who are we kidding, I'd wear this

 I really liked to collar on the top though, thinking it felt very 60s, but in the end when I made it up, it felt more 1920s than anything. I think the dress length version would make a good base pattern for a 20s style dress with some alterations.  

Fabric Used: a green tie-print silky polyester I got a while ago from a thrift store for fifty cents. I've already made another top out of the same fabric, though this top was much more suited to the style of fabric. The blue under collar is left over from the skirt lining I used to make the sleeves on this jacket here.

 Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I finished the armholes with bias tape instead of just doing a narrow hem. By design, it is a boxy top, and by design, I am not a boxy person. Since my middle area is about half a size larger than the rest of my top half, I usually make a 22. I could have made it in a 20 and scaled out to the 22 in the hip area and it would have fit a little better in the bust-and-above area.

 Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I plan on making the dress length version.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a cute style on you, you're so talented!! I love fun colors and this one does have a 1920s feel about it!

    ReplyDelete