Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Same Rejection Email, Different Day (tl;dr there's comedy jokestuffs at the bottom)


Lately I've been having a whole lot of the title of this post in my life.

I understand that it is a very difficult time to be looking for a job, and that you should always keep a plucky attitude about life in general if you want good things to happen to you, but I can also understand why so many people give up.

When businesses won't offer you enough hours, let alone high enough pay, to survive, but demand that you have wide open availability, I don't understand how they are able to hire anyone. There is no way in hell anyone can make it working 16 hours a week, if they are lucky, on $8.90 an hour, yet business expect that you have no other obligations in your life but those to that company.  I know this has been repeated and repeated and repeated in the past, but it is a very bleak position that many, if not most, people are in these days.

Anyway, suffice to say, I've been having a difficult time maintaining a positive attitude in my life. I can't find a second job, literally at this point, to save my life, I'm living with a very difficult person who increases the dark atmosphere with their own negativity and am going to have to move in two months with no financial means to do so.

One of the most important things I've learned in my life is how essential humor is. In my family, we cope with everything, good or bad, with humor, and this is one of the most usable thing I've taken away from my upbringing.  Being able to laugh when the rest of your life has gone to shit, makes those terrible things a little easier to maneuver. I have relied on comedy (and humor in a broader sense) to get me through some tough times, even when it seems as though there is little to laugh about. I have a deep love and respect for comedy for being a uniter (not a divider, except in the case of Dean Cain), and in this snippet of nastiness I'm experiencing, it is important to remember to find humor in life.

That preachy longwindness aside, I recently discovered the webseries Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. I vaguely remember reading about it last year, but never got around to watching it until today. I love comedians because so many of them are so complex (which can, in some circumstances, read: asshole), and it's a treat to see them interact with one another.


It is exactly what the title says it is: Jerry Seinfeld going round in various classic cars, picking up fellow comedians, then getting coffee (or Diet Coke in Colin Quinn's case). It is also hilarious.


The first episode I watched featured Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks, two of my absolute heroes and favorites, which lead me to the discovery of Henry Mancini's latin version of Springtime for Hitler (YES IT'S A REAL THING).  That alone brightened what was a shitty day.


Anyway, I'd recommend the series 10/10 would rewatch. It won't allow me to embed (hence the shitty screen caps) but you can find it here, on youtube.


No comments:

Post a Comment