Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Pattern Review: Simplicity 3883 Poppy Shift

Here's another from my slew of pattern reviews I've been meaning to post for months now.


3833





Last year, I received two cuts of Marimekko fabric as a present. I was worried about messing it up, so I ended up sitting on it until the beginning of this year.  Since they're both such bold patterns, I really had no idea what to do with them. At about the same time, I stumbled on the Rosie Wednesday blog reviews on the Simplicity 1960s reprint of this shift dress.  I'd been wanting to make a 1960s shift for a while, but was concerned that it would not be flattering at all, but the reviews came back positive for this pattern, so I decided to go with it.


I originally intended to make the long sleeve A version, but wasn't so sure how the broadcloth would behave as a sleeve.  Next time, I'd use a better fabric than broadcloth- so basically any other fabric. 


3833 Misses' & Miss Petite 1960's Vintage Dresses


Pattern Description: 3833 Misses' & Miss Petite 1960's Vintage Dresses

I made View D

Pattern Sizing:14-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very simple

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Fabric Used: cotton broadcloth and Marimekko cotton print. I received the Marimekko fabric as a present, and wanted to use it without it being overwhelming (plus I had a small amount), so I paired it with black broadcloth from Joanns.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I left out the back darts.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I made this dress specifically because I found several plus sized and larger end of the scale bloggers had made it successfully. It is very flattering, which is not always the case with 1960s shift dresses. I would definitely sew it again. It's a great basic dress that could have a lot of details added to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment