Monday, April 14, 2014

On Style




via Johanna Ost



Personal style has always been very important to me.  I’ve always been very interested in clothing and fashion-y things, not only vintage and historical fashion, but modern style as well. Because of a combination of reasons, namely lack of funds, enforced dress codes  and lack of confidence, I haven’t always felt comfortable or been able to express my personal sense of style in everyday life. I really admire those who have distinct personal styles and wear them with confidence. 

When I was younger, I especially admired those who dress solely in era specific vintage clothing.  It’s a huge commitment and undertaking, and something that I could never accomplish. Not only to commit financially to buying only true vintage (1930s-60s, is what I’m mainly referring to), but committing to a single decade or look. I could never choose just one!  Maybe it’s the amateur fashion historian in me, but I’m truly inspired by every decade of the 20th century and earlier. 

Starting in January, I made a conscious decision to try and wear what I really wanted to. I certainly don’t dress up every day, but I’ve been trying to dress up at least once a week when I’m at work, and so far I’ve been pretty happy with what I’ve been able to do. I am of limited means, and of fewer articles of clothing, but I’ve been slowly adding pieces to my wardrobe that fit in with what I want to wear, not what I think I should wear. 

Unfortunately, we are heading into those ol' S/S seasons, where my style inspiration drops considerably. Fall and Winter are my absolute favorite fashion and style (and all around) season. I love the rich and opulent styles that are often present, and for the past several months have been very inspired by the dark colors of Biba and the intricate deco details of 1920s and Teens costume.
Pastels and ditzy florals, the de rigueur look of every spring since the dawn of clothing, are not up my alley, and the early 90s look that seems to not be going away is something I can easily pass on *. It’s not the least bit flattering, and personally, I’m not emotionally prepared to be revisiting the same things I was wearing in second grade. Despite what they may try and tell you, Mom jeans are not the look I’m going for. 

Most importantly, who does the weather think it is, coming into my house, telling me I can’t wear long sleeves all year round?! Every year, I vow I will not let the weather win and hold out wearing long sleeves as long as possible, but I always end up being either miserable.  Jackets and sweaters are some of my favorite pieces of clothing to wear, and I usually make it into June before woefully trying to find something short sleeved to wear. I also refuse to wear open toed shoes out of doors. Hell, half the time I refuse to wear open toed shoes in-of-doors.

Anyway, what I’m trying to get around to saying is that I’m going to be trying to post some inspiration here every once in a while. I post it every damn day on pinterest, where I spend about 96 percent of my waking time, but sometimes it’s fun to organize it in post form.  This won’t be turning into a personal fashion blog, because, as I have stated over and over again, I’m broke and have like one pair of pants and three shirts.  And, more importantly, sometimes I like gathering and organizing “research” more than actually doing.  Defining a personal style is something that I think is important, but I think it should be fun too.

*though I do hope that the 90s trends continue chronologically up to the early 2000s, because I’m really anxious to see some Forever21 selling jeans with “BOOTYLICOUS” in rhinestones across the ass just like I recall a girl wearing to a dance in 7th grade circa 2001. Now THAT IS the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment