Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Photos of (Probably) Dead People

As a lover and protector of vintage photographs (I have a large collection of family and non-family photos that I have inherited and purchased over the years), the saddest thing I've found at the Bins has been albums of pictures.  I know they're only photos, but I have a tendency to get weirdly attached to the people in them, and it's very sad to me to see them being buried under piles of literal junk. I have a strong interest in geneology, and after collecting antique photos as a teenager, receiving a large collection of my own ancestors' photos was one of the best gifts I've gotten. Vintage and antique photos, especially candids, let us have a sneak peek into how people lived, what they wore, and who they were. With my own family photos, it is a huge addition to oral stories about them.  I can't imagine seeing them wedged under a leaky crockpot stoneware and a Taco bell cup. Or worse.

About a month ago, I found a ton of photos loose in a particularly gross bin, complete with unidentifiable liquid lurking in one end. There were probably fifty of them, clearly all from the same source. I snapped up these four. I have no idea who the women (and girl) in the photos are, as there was no labels anywhere, but I just love them.


 These two are quite tiny, from the 1940s and 50s, I'd imagine.

The color one didn't come in the frame.  The frame came from the bins too, but had a new photo of a car in it. Nope, bye, don't care. It was printed from a slide and had a date of 1968. It's so bizarre, I love everything about it. I believe the dark haired lady is the same from both photos. The one on the right may be from a graduation or something along those lines.

One of these days I'm going to have to upload some of my collection of photos. It'd be nice to have them digitized in one place.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, doesn't it just break your heart to think that anyone would store vintage photos with/in liquid. How could they have so little regard for the past and the importance of preserving it, even if you have no direct ties to the people in those photos. Thank goodness you were able to rescue a few and give them a great, loving home now.

    Big hugs from a fellow vintage photography lover,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete