Sunday, April 27, 2014

White Suit Optional




Space Librarians

    If I were to have a bullet-ed list of things that at one point in my life I never thought I’d like in a thousand years*, but now, as a reasonable adult, actually enjoy, clothing from the 1970s would rank top three at the very least. When I was a dumbass teenager and obstinate about what was not cool, I hated seventies fashion. I mean, I did live through the nineties and the awful resurgence, much as I am currently struggling to wade through the 90s revival mom jeans trend, but that is not an excuse for me looking past what is now one of my favorite aesthetics: disco deco.   In the 1970s, the 1930s Art Deco glamor came back- first subtly, then with a vengeance and a glittery, spandex-y aftertaste. And that is an aftertaste I’m unreasonably excited about. Sure, it was ridiculous, but so much of the culture of that time was ridiculous. I think the 1970s in America were a very interesting and socially conflicting time (much like the 1930s) and the fact that disco came out of that only to  promptly self destruct a year later is just the cherry on top. People always need an escape, and if doing blow off a balcony while wearing a man’s tuxedo jacket and underwear is an option, might as well. 

1971

Grace Coddington


Anjelica Huston and Yves Saint Laurent, 1973

Can't be a 70s post without Jerry Hall

More on my Historical Costume: 1970s pinterest board!

*Right after rap music and lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment