Monday, April 28, 2014

Lusty, Mirthful, Gal-Stealin' Musical, er, Casserole Dish!

I'm not sure if it's just in Portland, but good thrift stores are hard to find. And, I mean true thrift stores. Not Goodwill or Salvation Army, because that shit is expensive.  Luckily I have a favorite that's amazing because a) I think no one knows about it and b) they don't know what they have.  Until recently, I feel like Goodwill was like that too; you could find good shit there for cheeeeap, but it seems like they started hiring people who actually know clothing brands and antiques markets, and therefore price accordingly. Boo! This place is kind of like a church thrift store, so they get weird stuff, and it is so reasonably priced. I can't divulge my secrets, but today I found some GREAT china pieces. I didn't buy all of them, just a casserole dish, but I may go back tomorrow and see if some others are still left.


Buck's County by Royal China
I really love americana and kitschy style patterns, and this just takes the cake. There's a gd barn raising, for christ's sake!  I think it's supposed to be Amish themed, but Royal China be damned, it'll never be anything but Seven Brides for Seven Brothers to me.

IN EVEN BETTER NEWS, AS I UPLOADED THIS, I REALIZED THERE ARE SEVEN DANCING COUPLES ON THE LID, YES, LIFE COMPLETE, CAPS NECESSARY, ECT ECT.

I've never seen this pattern before. I saw a girl carrying the casserole around with several large plates, and picked it up after she set it down. I almost didn't get it, since I was just going to be looking, but I did a quick ebay search and decided to grab it anyway.  The only other "casserole"  I could find  ebay was asking $120, which is stupidly insane an asking price (especially since I spent two bucks on it! ha!), but it seems like it's not a very common pattern. It's so much fun, I'm actually surprised I've never seen it. I'm probably going to put it in the booth space I share with a friend, but I kind of want to keep it!


Morris T. Cat gazes right through your soul




Then, icing on top of the  aforementioned cake, I found this amazing MORRIS THE CAT MUG AAAAHH.  I collect mugs, can never have too many cats, and am highly and regretfully nostalgic for a Morris the Cat t-shirt I didn't buy at Red Light like seven years ago and I know I will never see again. But a mug- even better!



No comments:

Post a Comment