Friday, May 30, 2014

Glittery Dandy

In my continuing series of wardrobe inspiration, I’ve been posting some of my favorite styles and looks. I realize that all of them are very costume-y and sort of impractical. But, truth be told, I love when I see people on the street looking costume-y and impractical. Fashion in the Pacific Northwest, in general, is very boring, particularly in the area of the city that I have to spend time in. I’m a firm believer in wearing whatever you want, but god is the flannel/jeans/yoga outfit/hiking boots/Colombia sportswear look boring. I understand that it is practical and comfortable. I get that it rains here and people like to think of themselves as ‘outdoorsy’. But it’s so boring! Where’s the zazz?? I am one to talk. I love fashion, and love people who wear interesting and fun and unique clothes, but I am not one of those people. Believe me, if I had financial means/thrift store luck, I’d be right there with ‘em, but as of now, I’m stuck with working with what I have. But still, I love collecting inspiration for that one day when I nail a full time job and/or enter into an agreement marriage with an older gentleman and am suddenly flush with Oprah cash that I can spend on great clothes.
What is this even called? I think of it as kinda-sorta mod, heavily influenced by “glam” as in “glamour rock” of 1970s Britain (though the term has an astronomically different meaning today) with a bit of weirdo Goth and New Wave thrown in. Pre-Punk and Post-Hippie, it’s less modishly groovy than Keith Richards’ 1967 be-furred get up shown below.  Sort of Deco, sort of BIBA, lots of gold and black and sequins and a little cheeky silliness. It's kind of like "Glittery Dandy", which is, as of  the moment that I am typing this blog and forever forward, what I'm calling it.


(x)


(x)


(x)






Whatever the hell it actually is, I love it. For the record, I’d dress like this every day if I could. It’s over the top and fun, though not really realistic for summer months. Maybe come fall-time I can try and angle my wardrobe that way. I always struggle during summer with what to wear- I have a series of “rules” that I personally like to live by, and all of those are pretty much anti-summer. For example, I’m strongly opposed to open toed shoes. It’s just not going to happen. I also prefer a long sleeve, to protect my tattoos from sun damage (and also avoid questions about them), which is not a warm weather compatible ideology. The struggle is real, folks.

 PS, I had kind of a hard time finding photos that I really liked regarding this style, so I made up some collages on Polyvore, which is a cool time-wasting clothing/art site where you can save clothing items/photographs/whatever from almost any website and make collages. I used to do this in the pre-Pinterest dawn of the internet in moleskine books with magazine clippings!

No comments:

Post a Comment