Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Home Economics... AND YOU!

One of my favorite books to find, aside from supremely outdated beauty books, are old Home Ec textbooks.  For some reason, the bookstore I work at gets them from time to time, and they are glorious. I've made a point to try and snag them right away, even though no one ever buys them and they languish in the general craft section (even though the only "crafting" they really have is usually very basic sewing instructions).

Along with basic sewing instructions and projects (much like the pajama pants and pillowcases made in modern home ec classes- when they existed anyway. They were discontinued from my school a few years after I graduated due to funding cuts),  they typically offer other useful information, ranging from stuff you could actually use like wardrobe planning, garment care, and color coordination to the oh-so-period respecting your parents, not being a huge slut, and "Learning More About Getting Along with Elderly People".  Most of the non-clothing construction advice tidbits are horribly judgmental and borderline cruel, basically boiling down to you, the reader, being the biggest disappointment to your friends and family if you wear too much make up or are too slovenly in your posture. They are awful, and they are my favorite.

The two that I have from the early 1960s really stand out in how far behind in fashion they are.  The one from the early thirties (originally published in the late 20s) shows fashionable sportswear for the time and generally offers good advice regarding wardrobe planning for a modern girl. The one from the 1967, though originally published in 1961,  shows up-to-date fashions for young women in it's color inserts. But the ones from the early 60s are so outdated, as if the teenage youth movement had never even happened. Obviously, this is what the publishers were going for- their "ideal" girl- but it's so square, it stands out to the modern eye. 


Here I will share some of my favorite excerpts from the books I have in my collection, both owned and borrowed.

Clothing for the High School Girl (1931)











Clothing Construction and Wardrobe Planning (1960 Edition)

What this one lacks in good outfit photos, it makes up for it in ridiculous illustrations.



Feminine daintiness includes the removal of underarm hair and the use of a deodorant


 There you go again, ruining everything for everyone because you wore the wrong clothes....

No make-up... half make-up... ready for anything


Teen Guide to Homemaking {Canadian Edition (1967)}


While Teen Guide to Homemaking has up-to-date fashion photos, it also has up-to-date life advice that looks like it came from the Betty Draper School of Being a Good Wife.  It's "Do's and Don'ts of Dating" column is great, along with it's lists of what boys like in a girl: "attractive and well-groomed, neat and clean, interested in a boy's hobbies, is modest but not shy and does not talk about previous other dates".







Being likeable is a goal of all young people



Clothes for Teens (1963)

I have previously featured this one, but I had to bring it back to bring back this college-bound goober.

I'm pretty sure this guy is like 43

1 comment:

  1. I think it's so interesting that you collect this text books! They must be very interesting to read and I imagine I'd get a chuckle from some of the pages that might be contained in there. I chuckled when I saw the little illustration with the caption that read "Does your posture express confidence or gloom?". Also really loving those beautiful bright outfits in the coloured pictures, and yes, I'm pretty certain too that the guy is certainly not the average age for a college boy!

    ReplyDelete