Thursday, October 2, 2014

Pattern Review: Octoberween Shift

Several weeks ago, I went into Joanns with good intentions. I was going to buy the pattern and black fabric for a dress I've been planning for a long time. Well, turns out the flyer I had was old, and patterns weren't on sale. So, I bought Halloween novelty fabric instead. I HAVE A PROBLEM, OK. 

Then it sat on my desk thing for weeks until this past Monday, when I got a wild hair and dug around in my patterns to see what I could do with it. I used to have a massive pattern collection that I sadly had to get rid of through my past few moves, so I don't have much in the way of options. Since I only got 2 yards of this fabric, my options were really limited. I decided on Simplicity 0508, which apparently has since gone out of print and has one lonely review on Pattern Review. That's insane! I have no idea why it bombed, as it was a very simple and straightforward pattern. I'm definitely going to remake it in the future, preferably the long sleeved version!









 Pattern Description: Misses/ Petite Miss Dress or Mini-dress with sleeve variations. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Surprisingly, yes


Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes. A beginner could easily handle them. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Very easy, quick to sew. They gave some nice finishing instructions, like bias tape on the armscye, which aren't always included.

Fabric Used: Witch cameo novelty print cotton.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Several. Since it's so form fitting, I would typically used a size 22, but this pattern only went to a 20. I took out the fitting darts on both the front and back pieces and added a small strip of fabric on either side to give the dress a more 1960s "shift" style fit rather than the fitted style provided by the pattern. I used view E for the body of the dress but view B's sleeves to save fabric. I also used grosgrain ribbon instead of bias tape, as it was all I had.


Because I added the strips on the side, and forgot to taper them, the bust ended up being too big. In the future, I would not be a doof and forget to taper the sides to fit.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I'm planning on sewing it again, specifically view C, with the balloon style sleeves. I'd recommend it, if you can find it.



dress: self made
cardigan: 1970s men's sweater, via goodwill
beret: Forever21

I meant to get a photo of me wearing it, but forgot. Here's the outfit I wore it with on my mannequin.
I was so happy with how it came out (despite the poor fitting top, due only to my error), and it was a very fast sew. 


No comments:

Post a Comment