Wednesday, August 20, 2014

PATTERN REVIEW DUMP!


I've been doing a bit of sewing lately, and it's been great to get back into it. Unfortunately, over the past few years I've had to get rid of a huge bulk of my fabric and pattern stashes, and I've been having to scrape together fabric and patterns to use, at one point resorting to a flat sheet because it was the only thing I had that equaled over a yard and a half of fabric.  Fabric ain't cheap, ya'll! Especially when you aren't of a size that let's you make a dress out of a yard of fabric.
All of these photos are terrible. It seemed much brighter in my room when I was taking them, but they ended up grainy and weirdly blurry.  I'm still trying to figure out how to take a good photo of myself with my phone. I am hoping to be able to update in the near future with better photos. 

Review template taken from patternreview.com










Simplicity 3964 (Built By Wendy)


Pattern Description:  Dress, tunic or top
Pattern Sizing: size 20
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Mostly

Were the instructions easy to follow? I would rate this best for at least intermediate beginners
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The inset was quite fiddly, and the pattern cutting lay out would have wasted a huge amount of fabric. I really struggled with the diamond inset. In the future, I would ignore the instructions and do it a different way, and would hand sew that part of the garment for more accuracy.
 
Fabric Used:
lobster print flannel and black poly sheet remnants

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: No alterations, though I did hand sew quite the tie ends, armhole facings and interior facings.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would like to try the other options. 






 Simplicity 1692

Pattern Description: misses 1940s vintage tops; View D, jewel neck top with neckline buttons and kimono sleeves.
Pattern Sizing: size 22
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Basically. It looks very frumpy on my mannequin, but better on the body.

Were the instructions easy to follow? very simple

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
A very fast sew, I was able to complete it from pattern cutting to hemming in about five hours.
 
Fabric Used:
alexander henry bobby pin cotton print from about ten years ago and vintage red buttons

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I omitted a button on each side, as I only had four of the style I wanted to use and swapped the invisible zipper with a metal one from the seventies, as it was the only white zipper I had on hand.  I had to significantly shorten the sleeves, and could do even more. Because I carry most of my weight in my stomach area, the bust is quite big. I need to learn how to grade patterns down. I could have gotten away with a 20 or maybe even an 18 in the bust, but the waist area would have been much too tight. I would also extend the tucks up a bit more to make it less overtly blousy. Also, I didn't use any fusible interfacing in the facings, simply because I didn't have any. Instead, I used pinking shears on the raw edges to prevent fraying.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would like to make the long sleeve version (view a)
 





Simplicity 1426 
Pattern Description: Vintage Misses 1950s Bra tops
Pattern Sizing:  size 22
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes 

Were the instructions easy to follow? yes
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I wish the bottom band were a little bit wider so it was more of a 'crop top' than an actual bra top, but that could easily be altered.
 
Fabric Used:
Poly cotton halloween novelty print

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made the straps a cross back instead of tied halter neck and used ribbon loops for the back closure instead of self fabric loops. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I actually sewed this one twice, making a semi wearable muslin just to see if it would actually fit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment