Thursday, July 17, 2014

Operation: Flying Out of the Cuckoo's Nest is gung-ho under way, but of course is hitting bumps.

This next week and a half is packed to the gills with busy nonsense. There has been some still unresolved problems regarding my intent to vacate notice and a lack of communication between myself, my roommate and the leasing company (specifically the leasing company not returning calls and not giving me solid information), which is extremely frustrating.

In short, my roommate refused to sign the addendum to the lease that would release me from it with the excuse that there was a spelling error. Then she put in her own 30 days notice, ten days after I had put in mine (she had also not bothered to acknowledge the addendum for over a week). I called the landlord to find out what was going on, and was told that by her refusing to sign the addendum and putting in her own 30 days notice, it voided my 30 days and that my vacate date had been lumped in with hers (two weeks after my original date of the 3rd) and that I would also be responsible for damages, security deposit, ect.

I moved in originally several months after she had, and never paid a security deposit at all. So, if we were to get any thing back (we won't) I shouldn't be getting anything back.

I'm very confused as to how this has happened, and how it is legal. The leasing company won't really give me any information, and has been very difficult to get a hold of. This shouldn't be surprising, given how they handled the winter issue of us having no heat, but it's very frustrating. I shouldn't have to be paying for rent after my intent to vacate date.  If it truly was due to a spelling error that my roommate wouldn't sign the addendum, then why not correct the clerical error and resend the new one for her to sign?

I have too much other shit going on in my life right now to fight it. I'm scrambling to get everything fixed in the house that has been broken and ignored by my rommmate.  Regardless of when they have decided my vacated date was (August 3rd in my intent to vacate letter), I am leaving at the end of this month. My roommate has claimed she isn't going to clean the place herself and will hire a cleaning service, but I'm not confident in that. I'm worried it's not going to get done and that I will be charged out the ass. I am going to do as much as I can while I'm still here, but I can't deep clean with all her shit still in the house.

I'm still mostly concerned about how my intent to vacate notice was somehow null and void, then moved to a later date, even though I never signed anything to validate the later date. I am not getting any answers from the leasing agent and was basically told  that because she wouldn't sign the addendum (due to a spelling error), there was nothing I could do.  This doesn't seem legal to me at all. I have not signed anything except my own addendum to the lease that has apparently been nullified.


No comments:

Post a Comment