Thursday, July 24, 2014

Reading is FUNdamental


click for GREAT midcentury school library posters



A blog that I read frequently, Chronically Vintage, posted this great reading questionnaire/survey, and I thought it'd be fun to fill it out. 





 
 Do you snack while you read? If so, what is your favorite reading snack?

I typically read while I am on my break at work, so eating and reading frequently coincide.  I don't necessarily have a favorite snack reserved for reading, and I'm pretty fifty/fifty when it comes to snacking- sometimes I want sweet, sometimes I want salty. 

What is your favorite drink while reading?

Coffee! In my head, I always have visions of fall and winter days, with a warm beverage and a book. I've never pulled that off before though. It's good on paper.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

I will mark books with sticky note page markers if it's something for a research project. Otherwise, I'd have no reason to. It doesn't horrify me at all though. Some of my favorite things about antique books is finding something that someone wrote in the pages a hundred years ago.



How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

It depends on what I'm doing or where I am. I typically used whatever piece of paper is around, but will also dog-ear.



Fiction, non-fiction, or both?

Both. I love researching new topics, and am a fan of biographies, but also like good fiction. Fiction is a little harder for me to get into though. If I'm not hooked right away, I will give up. I don't have time to force myself through books, though when I was younger, I would never think of not finishing a book I started.

Are you the kind of person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

I stop where ever. It's not a big deal.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?

Who does this.  Who. Does. This.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

Yeah, I'll google it. I think one of the biggest uses I have for my phone is as a mobile dictionary! Ha!



What are you currently reading?

 
  



And If I Perish by Evelyn M Monahan, the story of nurses on the front lines in World War II and 1940s Fashion: The Definitive Sourcebook by Emmanuelle Dirix

What is the last book you bought?

I work at a bookstore where one of our best benefits (aside from the health insurance I'll be getting at the beginning of October finally!) is the ability to rent books from the entire company's stock. If they are used, you can rent them for up to three months! I used to spend way more money than I had on books, but now that I can rent them, I find myself taking risks with what I read, because if it's bad, I can always check it back in.  I don't even remember the last book I bought... I typically only buy them if they are used or if I accidentally wreck it and can't check it back in (oops). 
OH wait, the last book I bought was a Sitcom screenwriting book from amazon (double oops)


Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?

I always read more than one at a time. I am a chronic and terrible multitasker.



Do you have a favourite time/place to read?

Like I mentioned earlier, I typically read at lunch at work, or on the bus.


Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?

Either or. I tend to read more non-fiction than fiction, so that limits series.


Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?

It depends. I always recommend David Sedaris.

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author's last name, etc.) 
I have two bookshelves (I've purged a great many books over the years. With the amount of moving I've done in the past five years, it really is not logistically feasible to hang on to as many books as I had.) and keep them separated. History books go on one, where they're done by subject or era. My other case holds my fiction and crafting books.


I've been meaning to start doing a semi-regular "what I'm reading" post, but I haven't ever gotten around to it.  I'm hoping after my move (this Sunday!) I'm able to get back into the swing of things.














1 comment:

  1. Stellar answers, dear gal! I adore how quickly your put together your own version of this Q&A and that my post inspired you to do just that. It's such a blast to learn more about your reading habits, very much including that we both tend to have multiple books on the go most of the time. I hope you're getting in lots of enjoyable summer reading this summer! (Especially since, I totally agree, you have one of the coolest job perks ever!)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete