Monday, March 17, 2014

Ant-mageddon.

How's this for being adult-y: I bought a vacuum today and IT'S THE BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE.
this is one of the creepiest pieces of clipart I've ever seen. why does it have fingers.




As you may know, I am engaged in a constant battle with some not-so-friendly ant colonies (S!!) that decided to move into my closet post-snow. Ants are disgusting;  I hate them, and I'm way not into them building colonies in my personal items. I've set out several Terro traps, which truly are the best thing to take care of an ant problem, but they just weren't working fast enough for me. I know the whole deal with Terro is that they swarm it, then take it back to their house (saying "nest" is too gross for me. I just can't) where it kills them, which they were doing, but I just want them gone.  I figured the best way to eliminate them was to physically remove any ants I could find, then set the traps out again for any stragglers. Aaaand the best way to do that is to suck them up and dump them outside.  The only vacuum I had access to was my roommate's, but it doesn't work.

I'm pretty much broke as broke can be, and vacuums are expensive as shit, but I was lucky to find one for $50 at the Fred Meyer next to my job. It worked perfectly for sucking out any ants I could find, within reason. I think they're living under one of my bookshelves, but I'm not up for moving that, so I lined the base with traps. I found their colony (or at least part) in my closet that was luckily concentrated on an old bag, so I could just chuck that out and not have to deal with it. I was able to thoroughly clean my room, which is nice too. I have so much shit crammed into one room that it's very hard to keep nice, so it's really great to be able to clear things out.

Most bugs I don't like but will tolerate out of irrational fear that if I kill it, it's friends will find out and seek vengeance. If I see a spider, I will try and sweep it outside, but ants are the exception. I want to set them on fire. I get that they're important blah blah blah science lies. They should stay outside where science intended. No piggybacking off my trash!

No comments:

Post a Comment