Friday, March 7, 2014

Prohibition Scarlett O'Hara

   One thing everyone should know about me is that I don't watch movies*. Before anyone ever asks if I've seen a recent release, they should just automatically assume the answer is 'no'. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like them, they're fine, they just always seem like a lot to tackle. I have no problem putting away an entire TV series in a week (cough cough Breaking Bad), but two and a half hours for a movie? Ehhh, I've got a lot of 30 Rock I need to rewatch. Every once in  a while, I'll get a wild hair and watch something on Netflix, or go find it elsewhere, but since Netflix has limited streaming options for movies I actually would like to see, and I'm scared of viruses/the government arresting me for trying to find a watchable version of Best in Show, it's rare.  Plus, I hate movie theaters, or more importantly, movie theater patrons. I could be watching the most violent X-Rated film ever, and there'd still be a kid right behind me screaming the entire time.

    Along those lines, I rarely watch movie based awards shows unless I like the host(s) because, who are these people, what is this moving picture business, why do I care? Again, I could be watching the Lil Sebastian episode of Parks and Recreation for the nineteenth time.  But, in the spirit of being a new person who expands their horizons, I attended (and helped plan) an Oscar party this past Sunday with my friend from work. I say "in the spirit of being a new person" but really mean it was 1920s themed with a REQUIRED DRESS UP CODE.   Nothing, nothing, makes me happier than the words "required dress up code". All I've ever wanted in this feeble life is to attend a party where people are forced to dress in costume and actually like it.

    Of course I had to have a costume.  Though it's one of my favorite fashion eras, I don't really have any clothes that fit into the 1920s aesthetic, so I decided on making a dress. Cash is tight, as always, so I had to make do with what I had, and wound up using drapery samples that I got (for freeeeeee) from Penney’s when I worked there. It was also the first time I’ve made a garment without a pattern! I had only one mistake, which is unheard of for me, especially when I’m winging something, and got it done in only two days. I ended up spending about ten dollars for notions, and seven dollars on the cream kimono style jacket at goodwill. A whole new outfit for under 20 bucks is pretty good!
 Costuming on a budget is a talent and skill unto it's own, and I made out pretty well.


Please ignore atrocious quality of these pictures

   Most of the vintage (or vintage-y) items I have in my closet are accessories. It's always hard to find nice vintage clothes in my size, but accessories typically fit everyone! Plus, let's be real, you can find some nice accessories for a pretty good price most of the time.  I was able to accessorize my outfit completely from stuff I have, which was a huge time and money saver!

    I didn’t get any pictures of me wearing it, so I dragged it into the front room on my dress form and took shadowy pictures there. I really need to get a full length mirror so I can take outfit pictures! Argh!

   Luckily, my friend Michelle who hosted it is way into history and costumes and just generally being awesome, and she went all out. Before the party, I went with her and her daughter to a vintage bridal fair in costume, which was really fun. I don't care about weddings either, but I'll let it go if it's vintage themed.  I’m all about wearing costumes at all times, but I really hate to be the only person doing so. It was great to have a group of people I could kind of hide in, while still getting to dress up.

*I actually watched two movies in one day a couple days ago, after watching the awards show. I will probably not watch another for sixty five years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment