Saturday, March 29, 2014

"You Must be Pulling My Lariat"



Bolo ties: Let’s talk about them.

New Wave Prom Elegance via the Duckman


The official neckware of the state of Arizona. The choice neckware of the official winner of my heart, Duckie Dale.  I feel like Burt Reynolds also wore one at some point during the ‘80s. The bolo tie has western wear origins and was adopted most recently (ie thirty years ago) by the Rockabilly revival. I’ve spent a lifetime trying to distance myself from modern country music/fashion/lifestyle after a brief childhood dalliance with mid nineties country music (FULL DISCLOSURE: my dad was in a country/western band and I was like 7), but I LOVE old Western fashion. The old Nudie Suits worn by the likes of Buck Owens and Porter Wagoner are insane and I would straight up wear one if I could pull it off. 

Now that's a suit!

Growing up in the FFA laden north coast of California, bolo ties are dime a dozen among old timers, but as I was recently discussing with a friend, they are a rare find in Portland.  I’ve always been shocked that they didn’t catch on with the hip crowd like bow ties did. I mean, what is more ridiculously ironic than goddamn bolo tie?!  Anyway, I’ve always kept an eye out for them locally, but they are truly difficult to come by within city limits. 

I’ve taken to etsy to see if what I could scrounge up, and surprisingly, there’s a pretty good assortment both newly made and vintage ties, plus a kit to make your own! Most are understandably western and square dance themed, but there's also a sort of weird selection of souvenir ties. I guess that's better than a lame shot glass.

sweetie2sweetie                            
PandPF 

FitToBeBoloTied 

LkWhatTheCatDraggedN 



2 comments:

  1. So true, though I highly expect their moment in the sun is waiting to be had still (with the hipster/trendy fashion crowd, I mean). When decorative metal shirt collar clips (themselves often country western-ish) sprang to vogue a couple of years ago, I though that the bolero may follow suite, but it has yet to. They will though in likelihood, sooner or later.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! When I noticed the collar tips (and silver boot tips, for that matter), I thought bolo ties were surely right behind... We shall see!

      Delete