Thursday, March 20, 2014

Nerfherder: Favorite Finds

I've been feeling kind of bleh lately. Combining the never ending ant problems, not a second job in sight,  weird shit happening at the job I do have, and my difficult roommate, I've been finding myself looping back into apathetic negativity.  While moving stuff around to vacuum the ant trails a few days ago, (which I need to do again tomorrow- yesterday I only saw a few here and there, but today after coming home from work they're everywhere again. I'm guessing until it's resolved, I'm going to have to clean them up every other day), I found a bunch of DVDs hiding on a shelf, including my Star Wars set! While the series as a whole is both dumb and brilliant at the same time, I have a deep rooted love for it. All of it.  As a whole, it's stupidly polarizing, and bringing it up is like opening Pandora's Box of nerd politics, so I rarely mention it. I remember going to see the original trilogy upon theater re-release when I was eight or nine, and I wish I could remember what it was like to see it for the first time. It was really magical and weird to a kid who wasn't into sci-fi or fantasy, and it's truly a story with a lot of heart. Of course, there are things that could be improved upon, but serious... get over it. Everything could be improved upon in some way.  I'm not interested in hearing a four hour dissertation on a minute Extended Universe detail, or why the kid was terrible (he just was, get over it!), or bitching about Lucas' writing skills. Of course the originals are better than the prequels, but without them, we'd never know that R2D2 had rockets! Rockets!
Most of all, the series is a wonderful means of escapism. It's doofy, sweet, and ambitious. It's funny. It's annoying. Han Solo is there. It's just all around great. 

All that being said, once I found the DVDs, I watched the first three films right away (aaaand the Robot Chicken Star Wars Special. Twice). I don't watch the series often, and frequently go years in between viewings, so it's kind of fresh each time I watch it (though, turns out,  I still have most the original series memorized). And, because it's been around for so long and has such a universal appeal and following, even after the movies are over, the source material continues online. I did a tiny bit of Pinterest and etsy scrounging and found some amazing things that I definitely want and certainly can't afford. 


(CarvedCrayons)
Whaaaaaaaaaat?!?! Everything in this shop is insane. I want it all. 
 
(duvdesigns)

(Threadful)
(HandmadeByNovember)
EEEEE! The Endor forest scenes were shot in Redwood forests near where I gre
w up, so the Ewoks were always one of my favorite parts.  The terrain was so familiar, it seemed like they really could exist.
(our nerd home)
I've been looking for a second hand globe for over a year, and this only solidifies that I need to find one.

(innerchildcrochet)

This pattern got me thinking about what a baby Wookiee would look like and I concluded they would be similar to baby sloths-cue me looking at baby sloths on pinterest for an hour and a half. 

No comments:

Post a Comment