Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Cool Cat

The end of last month was my 25th birthday, and while I should use this post to talk about the fact that my chosen way to celebrate was eating nachos, I will instead share my favorite toddler-hood article of clothing, the Cool Cat sweatshirt.


Classic circa 1991 bubble font. Obligatory neon green. Cat with eyebrows, sweet shades and what appears to be a questionable goatee throwing a radical 'shaka brah' while wearing a turtle neck. This sweatshirt had everything.



Where did it come from?  How does it manage encapsulate the entire early nineties in one child size sweatshirt? Why do I wholeheartedly expect to walk by a Forever21 and see it in the window? How fast will I buy it when that does happen? Most importantly, why, when I google image search the term "vintage cool cat baby sweatshirt", does a picture of Jack Nicholson appear in the results????

These are all questions I'm not prepared to answer.

I think about that sweatshirt a lot. I knew there was a picture, but had no idea where it had gone. Then, a few weeks ago, I found an old scrapbook I had started to make in 2003 (HOO BOY), and there it was! Turns out, the picture in my head was a combination of several childhood photos mashed together. I thought I had the longer hair of the pink pants one, and that the spaghetti sauce/chocolate/lord knows all over my face was actually watercolor paint (something I did frequently), but the Cool Cat sweatshirt remained the same.


Also, all in all, my birthday was good.  I got to hang out with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while, got  the nachos, then was taken by work friends to get more food and was practically force fed cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment