Thursday, September 18, 2014

Style Challenge: What Kind of Idiot Wears Flannel in 88 Degree Weather




This moi.

 
 Style Challenge: "So My City"


 (again, I re-wore this outfit on a different day to retake photos)

 flannel shirt: target
pants: dress barn, though originally I wore blue Skinny Stiletto jeans from Torrid
converse: zappos probably, years and years ago
hat: made by my mom


On the day "So my City" was the challenge, I totally forgot that I was actually supposed to adhere to a theme until the last second, so I had to scramble to grab whatever "Portland" items of clothing I could find. I felt super cliche and boring because these are just normal clothes, but low and behold, at work I saw like four people wearing this exact thing come into the store, so there's that. 
Portland is very weird when it comes to style. There's decidedly a lack of it among the general population, in my opinion, and they seem to be championing the "normcore" trend that keeps getting mentioned around the internet. As a person who is not interested in the outdoors or driving a Subaru Forrester to the farmers market, I'm not won over by the utilitarian and rugged style that seems to dominate. Of course, there is always an exception to the rule, and there are some people here who blow me away with their great and creative outfits (usually, I see them downtown... rarely in SE where I work and until recently, lived.). That being said, I've always thought everyone should wear what makes them happy, be it fancy or not, but I always feel invigorated when I see someone who thinks outside the PNW box here.







One day, I'll figure out where the lens is actually pointing and I'll get into the center of the frame without looking confused.


2 comments:

  1. Okay, I thought I'd already posted a comment...that said. I love the knit hat, very Portland. But what about sandals with socks? Your falling down on the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know! If only I'd had the sandal/sock combo while working the cargo short...

      Delete